Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A New Year's Resolution and a Semester in Review...

You will be happy to know that one of my 2010 resolutions is to update my blog more often in order to keep you more in the loop on my teaching adventure in the tropics!
I have been in Flagstaff for the past few weeks for Christmas Break and have had a wonderful time catching up with friends and spending quality time with my family. Despite the freezing weather (yes, I have become a wuss to the cold thanks to my time in the tropics), it has been a blast being here over the holiday. As the calendar year is wrapping up and I get ready to head back for semester number two, I can't help but reflect on this past semester and give Him all the glory for what I have gotten to experience.
The contrast between the first and second year of teaching is unbelievable. Even though I moved up a grade this year from 4th to 5th, it has still gone remarkably smoother than last year. I definitely have more confidence and a stronger relationship with my kiddos, but I attribute it more to the fact that we have AC in the classroom this year! It's amazing how much better I teach when I am not completely drenched and cranky. It's great. Actually, I really think teaching has become easier because I have lived in Indonesia for over two years, the land of "rubber time" and flexibility, and it has rubbed off on me. Yes, structured and perfectionist Molly has chosen to no longer sweat the small stuff but rather embrace the chaos:)
I LOVE 5th grade. There are a few more tantrums, breakdowns and squabbles, but there are also more in depth conversations, more growth and deeper relationships. He is doing some amazing things in the hearts of the 13 ten-year-olds in my classroom which constantly reminds me of Philippians 1:6. He is doing a great work and I am privileged to play a role in it for this season. A few highlights of our semester have included a field trip to the lake, hands-on learning activities about the digestive system, spending a week in "Antarctica" during I Love to Read Month, dancing the Cupid Shuffle, How-To presentations, and a bowling party! This semester we have the Lock-In to look forward to where I am hoping they will agree to do karaoke with me:)
It has also been amazing to be in our second year at the new campus. Again, remarkably smoother than last year! This is partially due to the fact that BAIS has been blessed with some pretty amazing new staff. With an addition to administration and a couple extra hands in the business office, we have become an even stronger team. New staff means new friends and new friends means new adventures! We had a blast last semester taking random motorbike trips to different locations, spending a week in Malaysia, and celebrating Thanksgiving at the beach. All of which of course included adventure dining. The best thing I ate this semester was at a place in Penang, Malaysia called the Wet Market. It was full of vendors selling breakfast foods. We became pretty tight with an Indian man and his wife. He made the Roti (fried bread) and she made the kopi susu (pulled coffee with sweetened condensed milk). Amazing! Although this community that I live in can feel like a bubble sometimes, I have certainly been sharpened by my brothers and sisters. What a blessing!
Another highlight of the semester was a week devoted to serving outside the walls of our campus called Week Without Walls. Everyone in the school participates in projects created and run by the teachers. The theme this year was Love-ology. I was in charge of a project for high school and middle school girls that included working with the Islamic School down the street to create "Boxes of Love" for local kampung girls. It was a phenomenal experience where He showed me that love comes in all kinds of forms. We were asked to wear head coverings while working at the Islamic School. Although this was a bit outside of our comfort zones, it was humbling to see Him work through those insecurities and allow real friendships to blossom among the two groups of students. During our time with the kampung girls, we got to spread the love through games, singing, dancing and giving gifts. My favorite part was dancing the Hokey Pokey with 60 students between the ages of 3 and 17. Yes, love comes in all forms:)
Looking back at this semester, all I can say is "Great is His faithfulness." Every good thing comes from Him and I love that He has given me eyes to see those good things: good friends, an amazing class, challenging tasks, and fun adventures. It's in the joy of remembering His faithfulness that I have the strength to look upon the coming year with anticipation for what He's going to do!

No comments: