Saturday, July 9, 2011

Prerequisite: Adventure

From Kansas City I was on my way to Broken Bow, Nebraska to see a bunch of family that I hadn't seen since I was a baby. The road trip had gone so smoothly so far; I should have known that I couldn't make it the whole way without some kind of Griswold adventure....
I had heard that I-29 was closed because of the Missouri River flooding, so when I plugged the address into the GPS I made sure that I wouldn't be taking I-29. Unfortunately, maps and directions aren't really my thing, so I didn't realize that I-435 and I-29 were the same thing. I found this out too late when I kept seeing the blinking road signs telling me that the interstate would close soon and I would need to take a detour. I assumed that taking their suggested detour would lead me to the right place, but it didn't. When I made it Maryville, I said a little prayer and plugged the address into the GPS again. It took me on a couple back roads and I was feeling good about it. That was until I came to another road closure. The country road I was on was closed due to a bridge being repaired. This was when I discovered the Detour button on the GPS. When I pressed it, it took me down a dirt road...that turned into a "dirt road" and then turned into something that I wasn't sure was even a road. In the middle of that thought I came upon a tractor that was making the dirt road I was on. At that point the adventure was still comical. Little did I know that it was only the beginning and that the detour button would end up being my best friend. A pretty good chunk of I-29 was closed which led to taking all kinds of backroads and me asking the question, "Where the heck am I?!" Finally, after about 2 hours of detours I finally made it to I-80 which would take me to Nebraska.
I was so happy to make it to Broken Bow safely and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. My mom had flown in the day before and we stayed in a Bed and Breakfast. It was a lovely place fit with themed bedrooms and lots of knick knacks. The room we stayed in was called the Angel Room. It was chock full o' angels including angel pull chains on the fan. The only channel available at the bed and breakfast was the Hallmark Channel so we enjoyed some Golden Girls and Frasier during our down time.
It was such a blessing to get to catch up with family. I am related to some pretty incredible people! The weekend was full of funny stories, good food and enjoying the great outdoors. It was also a relief to learn that my passion for coffee, introvertedness, and other quirks are genetic.
I hope that I get up to Nebraska again in the near future. Family is such a special thing. Despite some of the drama that comes with it, there's so much room for grace and unconditional love. I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

gammysoap said...

Jen - thank you for sharing your time and journey with the Olson family in Nebraska! You left out the horse trailer incident :-)

Oscar said...


I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can reach them through there website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com