Monday, February 25, 2008

Wearing Many Hats

In high school I had quite the array of after school and summer jobs to help keep my bank account out of the red. For four years, I worked as a "Tax Preparation Assistant" at spending my after school hours in front of a copy machine hoping and praying that the Lord wouldn't call me to be an accountant (no offense mom:) One summer I was a server in the dining room of an assisted living home. Again, I enjoyed getting to know the residents and hearing their stories, but was pretty certain that God hadn't blessed me with the patience to serve the elderly. Another summer, I was a landscaping assistant at a hotel got in touch with my inner handyman. I remember reminding myself when the copy machine had jammed for the four hundredth time, or when I had to hold my tongue after a resident complained about their food again, that these jobs were only temporary and that one day I would be doing something that I love.

Now that I am on the other side of college just starting out my first real job, I find myself reflecting on where I thought I would be back when I was grumbling in minimum wage jobs. I never expected God to bring me here to do some of the things I am doing now, in fact I always thought I was never cut out to work overseas. Nothing compares to looking back on years past and seeing the hand of God guiding every step and being reminded that it isn’t about me, but that it is all about Him.

The past month or so has been very busy. The majority of my time has been spent at school either planning for my ESL classes, planning for projects like tree planting for Week Without Walls or the all-school work day, subbing in all kinds of classes from PE to computers, or working in the bookroom with Jennie. I have been so blessed to have worn quite the number of hats here at BAIS lately. I have been learning a lot about myself from hidden gifts to limits that seem to pop up in stressful times. I am being stretched and molded in ways I never have before. Through the challenge of these experiences God is drawing me closer to Himself reminding me that “I Need Thee Every Hour.”

After years of knowing I would never be working in an accounting office or an assisted living home or landscaping at a hotel, today I can say that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Not anywhere close to where I thought I would be, but smack dab in the middle of my Father’s will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Molly,
It's so good to hear what God is teaching you and how He is using you! We're heading to Dare2Share this weekend and remembering how fun it was to have you with us last year.
I'm praying for you!
Tami