Friday, February 1, 2008

With Your Likeness Let Me Wake

Jesus draw me ever nearer
As I labour through the storm.
You have called me to this passage,
and I'll follow, though I'm worn.

May this journey bring a blessing,
May I rise on wings of faith;
And at the end of my heart's testing,
With Your likeness let me wake.

Jesus guide me through the tempest;
Keep my spirit staid and sure.
When the midnight meets the morning,
Let me love You even more.

Let the treasures of the trial
Form within me as I go -
And at the end of this long passage,
Let me leave them at Your throne.

We sang this song in church last week, and I was reminded not only of His sovereignty and provision, but also that it is through the storms or that refining fire that something beautiful is produced. Last year, as I was anticipating my semester on the other side of the globe, fear and anxiety were constant companions. Although I knew where I was going and what I was going to do, January sat there looking like big question mark. I had no idea what I was going to do, and being the controlling type that I am, I hated having that huge unknown at the end of my calendar. Through the struggles, challenges and downright painful times, God was shaping my character and equipping me with the strength to face what this semester would hold.

This year the theme is all about trust. Everyday I have to surrender my worries about finances, my worries about my ESL lessons, my worries about projects being completed. Last Sunday I was feeling the weight of these worries and as tears streamed down my face, I soaked in the lyrics of this song, and was able to hand over all those worries in the hands of my Heavenly Father. I hope that this song brings a little hope into your day, because it certainly was a pleasant reminder for me this week.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

A great reminder, indeed! I, too, really appreciated this song during my cross-cultural training and transition. Oh, and it is very nice to meet you. :)

Mrs. E said...

Molly,

We should get our students talking via the internet!

Your aunt in Oregon

Laurie in Flag said...

Molly,

On this Monday morning as I prepare for my own teaching week, I am praying that you will be strengthened and encouraged as you minister to your students. The Lord is with you!