Friday, June 17, 2011

Sister Time in Texas and Some Culture Shock

The day began with one of my favorite things...Continental Breakfast! The coffee was less than mediocre, so I made a quick stop at Starbucks before getting on the road. I am using my parents GPS thing, which is the only reason that I have made it to any of the destinations. One of the drawbacks is that it chooses the route for you and it may not always be the shortest. It took me through some backroads to Tyler, which made it farther, but really pretty and very country:) I got to spend the evening with my sister Emily, who, since the last time I saw her a year ago, has graduated college, gotten a job, an apartment, a boyfriend and a ring on her left hand. Needless to say, it kind of felt like we were meeting each other for the first time. It was a lovely time of delicious food and lots of catching up. I am so proud of her and can't wait to be a part of her wedding in 16 days.
Some culture shock moments I have experienced include the size of American portions and important consumer items that I was not aware of. Emily took me to this amazing custard place in Tyler where we got enough ice cream to feed four people. Don't get me wrong, it was amazing...and I ate the whole thing! I went into a Walmart this morning and couldn't help but snap a picture of one of the items listed on one of the signs. So funny.
After all that ranting and raving about the stupid traffic in Indonesia, it was kind of humorous, but mostly annoying to be moving about four miles an hour on Interstate 20 in Louisiana for about an hour today. Ridiculous.
I did end up making it to Monroe, Louisiana where I stopped at the Biedenharn Museum. Joe Biedenharn was the guy who came up with the idea to put Coca Cola in glass bottles. His daughter Emy-Lou had a pretty impressive collection of Bibles and traveled around Europe for 11 years while she was an opera singer. I caught the very last tour of the day with a cute little old lady. It was really beautiful.
My trip ended up in Jackson, Mississippi...yep the same one from the Johnny Cash song. Mississippi is a great state. Very friendly. Driving across the Mississippi River was one of the highlights yesterday. I also couldn't help but think about my fifth graders as I drove through Vicksburg, MS. We had a good time during our Civil War Unit this year and Vicksburg was where a major Union Victory occurred.
Today I am headed to Hampton, Georgia to see my good friend Billy. I am anxiously anticipating all of the Chick-fil-a we will be eating. Billy is a Chick-fil-a connosieur and I am confident that he will introduce me to all things southern.

3 comments:

AK in Indo said...

Sounds sooo fun Molly! Drive safe and say Hi to Billy for me! Wish I were going to the wedding with you guys.

malia said...

im lovin the adventures. keep 'um comin!!

Oscar said...


I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can reach them through there website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com